Senior 6’4″ 311
- Consensus first-team all-conference senior year.
- Tall for a Center, but very athletic.
- Good snapper of the ball.
- Will hold his own against larger DT and NT.
- Good mover in space, asked to pull and block.
- Good hand placement.
- Sustains blocks to allow RB find hole.
- Occasionally drops head when run blocking and loses sight of rusher.
- Does a good job getting to the second level, but needs to contact LB effectively once there.
- Tough, intelligent player.
- Wins a lot with just sheer guts and tenacity.
- Blocked for Heisman winner Derrick Henry.
- Loves to blow up DL in the run game
Kelly was the leader of the OL at Alabama after taking over from Barrett Jones in 2013. Loves to run block and it shows on tape when he blows up DL to allow the RB to find the hole. His weight has been questioned and has put on 14lbs since the end of the college year and weighed in at 311 at the combine.
He will be able to play in most schemes but he will benefit from being in a ZBS that will allow him to use his length and athleticism. He should be able to come in straight away and play C due to his experience at Alabama and his intelligence, guts and the required tenacity you want from an offensive lineman.
On occasion when blocking larger defensive linemen he will get too far into their pads with his head down and get taken out of the play, he will need to improve his strength at the point of attack against these larger defenders that he will face in the NFL. Great snap and step movement
Hasn’t allowed a sack in the last two years due to great hip bend and the ability to anchor at the point of attack to prevent any linemen getting leverage over him.
Kelly is attending the Scouting combine and has measured in favorably after scouts were concerned about him coming in under weight.